A sweet, juicy slice of cantaloupe is refreshing on a hot summer day or any time of year.
Like other melons, cantaloupe has high water content and is bursting with nutrients for humans, but are these safe for your hamster to enjoy with you?
You may think that melon is totally fine to serve to your hamster, and while in many cases that can be true.
it all depends on the type of fruit and, most importantly, the amount of fruit, you offer your hamster.
Hamster’s stomachs can only handle certain things in moderation, and such is the case with cantaloupe.
Learn all about how you can feed it to your hamster without making them sick, what the proper amounts to give are, and what to do if your hamster is having a reaction.
Can Hamsters Eat cantaloupe
The good news is that hamsters can safely eat cantaloupes, but only in moderation.
Although it is true that there are many health benefits to feeding your hamster cantaloupes, there are also many things to consider before doing so.
Without moderation, side effects like diarrhea, constipation, stomach pains.
Veterinarians have approved cantaloupes as generally a safe fruit for hamsters to consume, but there can always be exceptions.
What Are The Health Benefits For Your hamster Eating cantaloupe
it’s important to remember that cantaloupe is a fruit that can give a lot of health benefits to your hamster?
That doesn’t mean, however, that you should give your hamster large amounts of cantaloupes for it can be a possible health risk for your hamster, as well.
When given in the right amounts, your hamster will be the healthiest as they could be!
With just a little of a cantaloupe, your hamster can get the following essential vitamins and minerals:
- Loaded with dietary fiber – Dietary fiber is important especially if your hamster is on the overweight to obese side. That’s why you can load him up with fruits that contain lots of dietary fiber so they would feel full and yet it won’t add too much weight on them.
- Vitamin A – This type of vitamin is listed to be as 7 of the crucial vitamins your hamster needs to have for a healthy lifestyle. It does the same magic as it is in humans, it helps your hamster have a functioning immune system and proper cellular function.
- Vitamin B6 – This is probably the most crucial vitamin for your hamster as it is responsible for the functioning of their organs. It controls the generation of glucose, regulation of hormones, the response of the immune system, activation of the gene, synthesis of niacin, and proper functioning of the blood cell and nervous system.
- Vitamin C – This vitamin, which is also found in cantaloupes, is an antioxidant. Basically, the job of an antioxidant is they would have to remove the harmful free radicals that are present in the body of your hamster.
- Cantaloupes are rich in B-vitamins, and it also contains this specific B-vitamin – Niacin helps to keep your hamster’s skin and coat healthy by being involved in the synthesis of fatty acids that can damage your hamster’s fur. It’s also needed primarily to break down the sugars and fats from foods your hamster ingests and helps convert it into energy which your hamster can utilize for his daily activities.
when Is Cantaloupe Bad For hamsters
Even though cantaloupe isn’t toxic to hamsters, it can still provoke unwanted reactions in certain situations.
Not peeling of the skin or removing the seeds are among the most common reasons behind bad reactions.
However, some side effects can happen even if you do everything right. Some hamsters simply don’t like it or are allergic to it.
If you notice symptoms like vomiting, lack of appetite these are all signs indicating a food intolerance.
This is why you have to introduce any new food slowly and gradually. That way, even if your hamster has a negative reaction to cantaloupes, the symptoms won’t be as bad as the fruit intake wasn’t that big.
Even though most hamsters tolerate, and like, cantaloupe don’t assume automatically that your hamster will too. Try slowly and that way you’ll know.
How Many cantaloupes Should I Give My hamster
Considering this is one of the higher sugar-concentrated fruits out there, it’s best if you only feed your hamster Cantaloupe in moderation.
or else you’ll put them at great risk of running around everywhere with diarrhea.
There really is no reason for Cantaloupe (or any other fruit for that matter) to make up a large portion of your hamster’s diet, as it’s mainly carbohydrates/sugars and barely contains any protein.
Can Hamsters Eat Cantaloupe Skin?
Don’t feed cantaloupe skin for your hamsters because The exterior part can contain many bacteria that can cause serious harm to your hamster.
The hard peel can lead to blockage and constipation.
Can Hamsters Eat Cantaloupe Seeds?
“No”. You should not feed your hamsters cantaloupe seeds because Cantaloupe seeds contain sufficient levels of cyanide which can harm the hamster.
As they can have poisonous qualities, and cause gastrointestinal problems.
Got some questions? Or some suggestions? That’s why we’ve got a comments section on this blog! You can feel free to leave a comment down below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!