If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best harness for a rabbit is, then we recommend the MEWTOGO’s 2-piece bunny harness as the best one.
Finding the best rabbit harness is highly essential for ensuring that your pet bunny has a safe and enjoyable outdoor experience.
However, finding a leash that is most suitable for your rabbit can prove to be a rather daunting task, as various factors need to be taken into account.
To help you in your search, we have compiled this comprehensive guide featuring a review of the 7 best rabbit harnesses, along with lots of other useful information for walking your bun outdoors.
- 1 quick answer – The Best Rabbit Harness
- 2 How to Choose the Right Harness for Your Rabbit
- 3 Different Types of Bunny Harness
- 4 How Do I Measure My Rabbit for a New Harness?
- 5 How to Leash Train a Rabbit
- 6 7 Best Rabbit Harness Reviews
- 6.1 1. MEWTOGO – 2 Pcs Adjustable and Breathable Bunny Harness
- 6.2 2. Niteangel Adjustable Soft Harness with Elastic Leash for Rabbits
- 6.3 3. Calunce Soft Rabbit Harness with Leash
- 6.4 4. EXPAWLORER Pet Rabbit Harness with Stretchy Leash
- 6.5 5. PERSUPER 2 Pack Pet Rabbit Harness
- 6.6 6. Ueetek Soft Harness with Lead for Rabbits
- 6.7 7. Hypeety Bunny Harness
- 7 Roundup – Which Rabbit Harness Should You Buy?
- 8 FAQs
quick answer – The Best Rabbit Harness
- MEWTOGO – 2 Pcs Adjustable And Breathable Bunny Harness (top pick)
- Niteangel Adjustable Soft Harness With Elastic Leash For Rabbits
- Calunce Soft Rabbit Harness With Leash
- EXPAWLORER Pet Rabbit Harness With Stretchy Leash
- PERSUPER 2 Pack Pet Rabbit Harness
- Ueetek Soft Harness With Lead For Rabbits
- Hypeety Bunny Harness
How to Choose the Right Harness for Your Rabbit
Choosing the right harness for your rabbit is easy if you keep the following factors in mind: comfort, size, and ease of use.
Needless to say, a harness should not make your rabbit, or any other pet for that matter, feel uneasy. Ideally, it should be fully adjustable so that you can tighten or loosen it further according to your bunny’s size.
Also, the harness must be easy to clean, as well as easy to put on your bunny and take off subsequently.
Different Types of Bunny Harness
There are three main types of bunny harnesses.
1. Vest Harness
Vest harnesses are usually designed for smaller rabbits. As the name suggests, these animal carriers consist of a ‘vest’ or a coat that tightly wraps around the rabbit’s body.
The jackets can be fastened together using Velcro straps or buckles, depending on the product. The main advantage of vest harnesses is that they spread the weight of the animal over a large area, providing comfort and ease of movement.
However, it can be challenging to get a vest harness on your bunny, especially if they are nervous about wearing one.
H-harness gets its name from the way the harness looks when you lay it onto a flat surface. It normally consists of two buckles that fit around your rabbit’s neck and waist respectively.
An H-harness is easy to put on but is generally associated with strain, particularly for rabbits that are not very eager to be put on a leash.
Important Note: Remember that the lead used with the harness must be connected to the waist buckle. Connecting the lead to the rabbit’s neck can lead to serious injuries and can make it hard for your pet to breath with the leash on.
3. Shoulder Harness
A shoulder harness is designed in a way that one strap of the harness goes around the chest while the other goes around the belly of the rabbit. This shifts their weight onto the shoulder rather than the neck.
These types of harnesses are usually not available commercially and need to be custom ordered.
How Do I Measure My Rabbit for a New Harness?
You need three measurements in order to buy the right harness for your bunny: neck diameter, belly circumference, and the length across the breast.
A step-by-step tutorial on measuring your rabbit for a harness can be found Here.
How to Leash Train a Rabbit
Leash training a rabbit is a rather complicated topic that necessitates an article on its own. We recommend reading this comprehensive guide from PetMD on how to leash train a rabbit.
However, for a quick summary, here are the basic tips:
- Begin by earning their trust – play games with your rabbit and spend more time together to bond with them on a closer level
- Introduce the leash and harness by letting them sniff and play with it
- Gradually try to put on the harness – let the rabbit walk around without a leash. If they shake the harness off, try again some other time
- Once they are comfortable with the harness, try putting them on the leash. But don’t walk them yet. Instead, follow your rabbit wherever it wants to go
- Repeat this a for a couple of times until you feel that your bunny is ready to head outdoors and follow your commands
7 Best Rabbit Harness Reviews
1. MEWTOGO – 2 Pcs Adjustable and Breathable Bunny Harness
MEWTOGO’s 2-piece bunny harness is one of the most sought-after rabbit leashes in the market. And the reason behind that is quite obvious when you take a deeper look at the features that it offers.
This vest harness consists of a long elastic leash with a double-lock system. It fits snugly around your rabbit and has an extra security clip around the neck to ensure that your pet doesn’t slip out accidentally.
The harness includes two vests in medium and large sizes to help meet their growth demands, whereas the padded leash helps prevent any painful sensations when it’s put on the rabbit.
- A fully adjustable bunny harness that fits rabbits of all breeds and sizes
- Vest harness made from soft and breathable mesh
- The net-like fabric not only ensures maximum comfort but also prevents your bunny from feeling hot during the walk or other similar outdoor activities
- Velcro grasp provides extra hold on your pet
- A set of two different sized leashes ideal for meeting the demands of a growing bunny (the medium-sized leash can also be used on other small pets like chinchilla)
- An affordable option for most pet owners
- Only available in one color (the light blue color does not sit well with many pet owners due to its dull and faded appearance)
- Might not be suitable for oversized rabbits (the large vest can fit rabbits with a waist of up to 12 inches only)
2. Niteangel Adjustable Soft Harness with Elastic Leash for Rabbits
Niteangel’s soft harness for bunnies is an ideal choice to consider whether you have a small-sized bunny like the Netherland Dwarf rabbit or a rather large-sized rabbit like the Flemish Giant.
This is because this product comes in four different sizes ranging from small to extra large harnesses. It has almost all the features that you would want in a rabbit harness – it’s fully adjustable, safe, and comfortable for your floppy-eared friend, and features Velcro straps along with a clip-on leash.
The only drawback of Niteangel’s harness is that the straps need to be adjusted manually – a task that can prove to be a nightmare if your rabbit doesn’t like being touched under the chin and on the belly.
Otherwise, this harness is perfect for rabbits that weigh less than 2 lbs, more than 6.5 lbs, or somewhere in between. Just make sure to specify your desired size clearly at the time of placing your order
- Suitable for small and adult rabbits
- Comes in a range of exciting colors including red, orange, pink, purple, blue, brown and black, to name a few
- Nylon straps with elastic leash provide a good anti-choke mechanism
- Features an extra strap with a snap buckle for better adjustment at the stomach and chest areas
- Made from a high-quality mesh material that ensures longevity
- Will easily fit into the budget of an average rabbit owner
- If the specified harness size is not available, the company tends to ship a different size without notifying the customer beforehand
- Some previous customers say that the stitching of the harness comes off really easily
- The leash is extra stretchy so it can be difficult to control highly energetic rabbits that hop super fast
3. Calunce Soft Rabbit Harness with Leash
Calunce’s two-in-one rabbit harness and leash will prove really useful if your rabbit weighs between 3 lbs and 6 lbs (stomach circumference between 9 and 12.5 inches).
This long-lasting harness is made from mesh and consists of nylon straps that can be adjusted according to the size of your rabbit.
One of our friends bought this harness because he had trouble telling apart the male and female bunnies in a pair that he owned. The blue and pink colored vests helped him keep track of the rabbits when taking them out for a play.
So, if you have got a pair of rabbits, the differently colored harnesses from Calunce will surely come in handy.
- The harness is made from a light mesh fabric that maximizes breathability and comfort
- Comes in a range of colors (blue, pink, red, and black) to reflect the temperament of your bunny
- Snap buckle ensures a safe and secure connection on the harness
- Available at a low price
- The product is exclusively sold by the manufacturer only, which means that if the company is out of stock at the moment, you will have to wait for a long time before you can place your order
- Not suitable for small-sized bunnies or rabbits that weigh over 6 lbs.
- According to some customers, the Velcro easily comes undone
- Domestic rabbits like the lion head can easily break free due to lack of compatibility between their structure and the product design
4. EXPAWLORER Pet Rabbit Harness with Stretchy Leash
EXPAWLORER’s harness and leash for pet rabbits is perhaps the most affordable option if you need a harness for two or more rabbits. This is because this product ships in a pack of two, making it perfect for pet owners with multiple rabbits.
The most impressive thing about this harness is that it is specially designed to restrain extra energetic rabbits in a way that is safe and comfortable.
The vest features wide and narrow straps that prevent injuries by equally distributing the weight of your rabbit in case they try to run away.
- A lightweight harness made of mesh doesn’t sit too heavy and prevents your rabbit from escaping
- The allover padded vest gives a soft feel and prevents discomfort when the harness is worn for extended hours
- Fully adjustable vest suitable for rabbits with chest circumferences between 15 and 20 inches
- The elastic leash helps prevents injuries by absorbing the force if your pet suddenly yanks at it
- Comes in two attractive colors, i.e., pink and red
- Snap buckles make it easy to attach and detach the leash from your rabbit
- Can be used for cats as well as medium-sized dogs
- An economical choice whether you have more than one rabbit or need an extra harness in case the first one gets misplaced
- Not suitable for small-sized rabbits – It’s quite difficult to fit this harness on rabbits of certain breeds, such as lion head and Holland Lop
- Not designed for rabbits weighing more than 5 lbs
5. PERSUPER 2 Pack Pet Rabbit Harness
PERSUPER’s pet rabbit harness is a really unique pet carrier in the sense that this multipurpose harness was specifically designed to deliver on performance while maximizing the level of comfort for your pet.
The H-shaped harness does not put any strain on the rabbit’s neck and avoids pressing on the muscle groups involved in walking and running. This is essential in ensuring that the harness does not hamper your pet’s movements.
PERSUPER’s rabbit harness is made from high-quality nylon, featuring a soft texture that feels similar to the rabbit’s fur. This decreases the likelihood of your furry friend running away from the equipment when you first introduce it to them.
- A multipurpose harness that can be used for walking, jogging and running as well as traveling and playing
- Comes with a bell attached to the harness – helps you locate the pet easily in case it runs away by any chance
- The harness is specially designed to keep your pet cool on a hot day
- Made from soft nylon, which is a breathable material and prevents irritation/ discomfort when the straps come in contact with the skin
- Adjustable straps ensure agile movements when you take your bunny for fun outdoors
- Suitable for use on various other pets including cats, ferrets, puppies, and the likes
- H-shaped harness is not usually comfortable for most pet rabbits
- Young rabbits can easily slip out of the harness even in the tightest configuration
- Large rabbits like the Flemish Giant are said to break free from the harness by chewing through the nylon straps
- Contrary to what the product description says, many customers complain that the harness does not fit ferrets
- The color of the actual product tends to vary from that shown online
6. Ueetek Soft Harness with Lead for Rabbits
Our list of the best rabbit harnesses will be incomplete without mentioning Ueetek’s harness with lead.
This rabbit carrier consists of a slip-on harness made from low-density polyester. The soft fabric vest is attached to an elastic leash that helps your bunny enjoy total freedom without forcing you to break a sweat trying to catch them.
- A high-quality rabbit carrier designed using the finest materials
- Adjustable straps allow you to tighten or loosen the harness for a perfect fitting
- The material near the neck, chest and stomach areas is extra stretchy to help prevent choking while maximizing ease of movement
- The cool pink color looks really cute on dark-furred rabbits
- A cost-effective option – this average-priced harness usually fits into the budget of most pet owners
- The main disadvantage of Ueetek’s harness is that it is primarily designed for small and medium-sized bunnies. We suggest that you don’t buy this product if your rabbit weighs more than 4 lbs
- Not recommended for dwarf rabbits (less than 2 lbs)
- This product only comes in one color (pink)
7. Hypeety Bunny Harness
Hypeety’s harness for rabbits might be the last product on our list of best rabbit harnesses, but this does not imply that it falls behind the aforementioned products in any aspect.
What do we like the most about this harness for rabbits?
Well, it’s definitely the cute bowtie at the front!
Although this product was predominantly designed for prioritizing your pet’s comfort, the manufacturers decided to give it a creative spin, which is why it comes with its very own red-and-black checkered bowtie.
Talk about a bunny with a sense of style!
- A unique and attractive harness that will make your rabbit look like a fashion icon
- Harness made from a mesh of a superior quality that ensures breathability and reduces the strain on your pet’s body
- Soft padding increases the comfort level
- The harness and leash are designed to prevent the chances of injury by distributing the force evenly if your rabbit tries to escape suddenly
- Designed for use in all types of weather conditions
- A fine choice for bunnies and kittens alike
- The product is only available in one color (black)
- This harness is relatively heavier than most of its counterparts
- Hypeety harness is only suitable for small-sized rabbits
- Some customers complained that the product shipped to them did not include the leash
Roundup – Which Rabbit Harness Should You Buy?
This concludes our review of the top seven rabbit harnesses available in the market. Of course, there are various other alternatives out there. But if the decision was solely left up to us, we would surely pick MEWTOGO’s 2-piece bunny harness as the clear winner of the roundup.
MEWTOGO’s bunny harness ticks all the boxes when it comes to comfort, adjustability, durability, and ease of use, as well as ease of cleaning.
Also, MEWTOGO is a well-known pet supplies company that specializes in producing animal carriers worn on the body. So, that’s definitely one more reason why we trust its harness for bunnies to be one of the best rabbit harnesses in the market.
Can A Rabbit Be Walked On A Leash?
Yes, you can take a rabbit on a leash for walking, running, and even playing, but make sure to give them sufficient ‘free’ time, as bunnies get more exercise from free-roaming playtime.
How Do You Put A Harness On A Rabbit?
If you are putting a harness on your rabbit for the first time, watch the video below to learn how to do it properly.
How Tight Should A Harness Be On A Rabbit?
The rule of thumb is that to leave a two-finger space when tightening the harness to the maximum.
Is A Rabbit Harness And Leash Safe?
Yes, given that you buy the product from a trusted source and use a harness of the right size.
Can I Use A Small Dog Harness For A Large Rabbit?
You can use a small dog harness when training your rabbit indoors, but it is generally not recommended because dog leashes can hurt the rabbit’s neck and develop muscle strain with repetitive use.